Message From The Sheriff
NICK WELDEN  ( read )
24 Hours:
Crime Tip:
2801 Jordan Road SW
Fort Payne, AL 35968
Administrative Office:
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:00pm


Shooting in Fyffe



For Immediate Release                                                                                 November 2, 2013 


                                                          Shooting in Fyffe


Sheriff Jimmy Harris states as follows:


                 Sheriff Jimmy Harris reports the death of a Dawson man who was involved in a shooting Friday night at the Fyffe Dollar General. Edward Lee Phillips, 48 of Dawson was shot multiple times in the parking lot of the store at approximately 8:30pm. Phillips was shot during an altercation with another adult male in a vehicle. The driver of the vehicle was at the store to rent movies and was leaving when Phillips approached him and began a verbal argument. The fight soon turned physical and witnesses report Phillips was shot after striking the occupant of the vehicle though an open window. The shooting suspect was detained by responding officers and the weapon used in the shooting was recovered. Numerous witnesses were interviewed and the suspect was transported to the Sheriff’s Office where he was interviewed. After consulting with District Attorney Mike O’Dell an autopsy was ordered for Phillips body which was transported from DeKalb Regional to the Alabama Department of Forensic Science in Huntsville by Coroner Tom Wilson. The shooter was released after an initial review of all of the circumstances. Further investigation is progressing at this time and the case will likely be presented to a grand jury for a determination of possible charges.

                 Harris stated “I have known the Phillips family for many years. They are a fine group of people and are well-liked in our community. I am very sad for them in the loss of their son, brother, and family member. We will continue to look at the facts, evidence, and any information relevant to the case. I would like to also thank all the officers from Fyffe, Geraldine, Alabama State Troopers, and everyone who responded to this call. The DeKalb Ambulance Service crew worked very hard to save Eddie but he passed away at the ER from his injuries before they could fly him toHuntsville. Everyone involved in this case worked hard and we hope to have a conclusion soon. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims family and friends.”