Message From The Sheriff
NICK WELDEN  ( read )
24 Hours:
Crime Tip:
2801 Jordan Road SW
Fort Payne, AL 35968
Administrative Office:
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:00pm


Call Leads into a Vehicle Chase



For Immediate Release                  

April 16, 2014  


Call Leads into a Vehicle Chase


Sheriff Jimmy Harris states as follows:


            Sheriff Jimmy Harris reports that DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office received a call on County Road 38 about a car being vandalized by a bat or gun, we don’t know at this time what happened. Two deputies Lt. Brad Edmondson and Van Douglas responded to the call, they did a report at the residence. As Deputies left the residence a vehicle came out from behind another residence and met the deputies. The suspect apparently held a weapon out the window of the vehicle. Deputies attempted to stop the suspect and the suspect immediately stopped in the road trying to get the deputies to hit him. The suspect continued to display the weapon out the window. Deputies continued to pursue the suspect with the help of Section, Fyffe and Geraldine Police Department. The suspect then went into Jackson County, at that time Jackson County Sheriff’s Office was contacted about the situation. At this point the suspect turned on an old field road and wedged his vehicle against a tree then took off on foot. Jackson County Sheriff Chuck Phillips brought in a tracking dog to assist with the search. The suspect was later located at a relatives house in Jackson County approximately ½ mile from Matheny’s bridge. Suspect Jason William Alfred Townson, 32 of Section was taken into custody by Jackson County Deputies and then turned over to DeKalb County Deputies. Townson is being questioned at this time by the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office. The District Attorney and Circuit Clerk will be contacted after the interview to determine what warrants will filed.

            Sheriff Harris says “It was an outstanding job by DeKalb and Jackson County Sheriff’s Office and Section, Fyffe and Geraldine Police Departments. They all responded and this incident was quickly resolved.”